Public Opinion Strategies is off to a roaring start in the 2022 primary season, polling for many Republican primary winners, including Governor Greg Abbott in Texas, Chuck Edwards over controversial incumbent Madison Cawthorn in North Carolina CD 11, and open seat nominee Erin Houchin in Indiana CD 9.
Additional primary winners so far this cycle include:
- Senator Mike Crapo of Idaho, who is the company’s longest continuous client;
- Congressman Alex Mooney in West Virginia CD 2, in the first incumbent vs. incumbent primary of the election;
- Congressman Andy Barr in Kentucky CD 6, who won with nearly 90% of the vote and is well-positioned for November;
- Congressman Thomas Massie in Kentucky CD 4, who cruised to a landslide victory despite a well-funded effort to defeat him;
- Congressmen Steve Chabot in Ohio CD 1, Bill Johnson in Ohio CD 6, and Mike Turner in Ohio CD 10, all long-time clients who advanced to the general election;
- Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick in Pennsylvania CD 1, who is well-positioned to win in November;
- State Senator Donald Douglas in Kentucky SD 22, who was one of the few incumbents to survive a challenge from a well-funded slate of so-called “Liberty” candidates in state legislative elections;
- State House Speaker David Osborne in Kentucky HD 59, who overwhelmingly defeated his GOP primary challenger.
“Working with quality candidates to earn hard-fought wins during this wild and wooly primary season underscores that campaigns matter,” said Gene Ulm, the Public Opinion Strategies partner who worked with the Mooney campaign to pull off a landslide win. Public polling had the race close, but Ulm’s final poll showing Mooney up by 20 points was within a point of the final vote count.